This week I weighed my self and found that for the 2nd week in a row I had lost some weight. Where I know most of us are over joyed to see the pounds come off around the holiday season this weight loss did not make sense to me. I have have not been diligent with my calories the last two weeks at all. So even though I am working out I should not be loosing weight. I started to think about it and came to a scary conclusion...I am loosing muscle on our long runs! My body has actually had to turn to using muscle for fuel because I have not been providing enough fuel for it to use. I know a couple of month ago I posted a blog about the need for nutrition WHILE we run but I failed to follow through with really encouraging the tribe (including my self) to use it. We all really need to consider using these last few weeks leading up to PF Chang's to get train our selves to digest something while we run. Training while overly fatigued can also contribute to injury. As we get tired our running form breaks down and we start to run slopily which leads us to injury.
Of course I have no doubt that we can all complete this race without gels, goo's, or sports beans but the goal is not simply to cross the finish line. We will be less fatigued and in better condition to meet our goals if our body is properly fueled to do so.
The moral of my rant is that this weekend I have another challenging for the tribe. I challenge every one in the tribe (weather you complete your long run with the group or not) to attempt a new fueling method this week. Amit has come gels is snagged from the 12K and I will stop and pick up some other types of fuel so that we can all partake. Come prepared with a race belt, pockets, or something to stash the goods in!
No comments:
Post a Comment